Criminal Injuries Compensation Scheme

Criminal Injuries Compensation Scheme

Straddling my motorcycle in traffic with my headphones in listening to a podcast, all hell broke loose as I was barged on to the floor by two scally lads trying to nick my bike.

I managed to get up quickly and then it was like a scene from a bad 80s movie with me fighting in the street. I fended the two scumbags off until some locals grabbed them.

It was only later when the Police arrived that I realised one of the scum had stabbed me in the leg and I’d broken my wrist when I’d been pushed off.

I’ve now been off work for six weeks and lost a fair chunk of money. Is there any way I can get compensated, as I don’t reckon the scum will have a pot to pee in even if I sued them and won?


I reckon even Jackie Chan would have struggled fighting two scumbags with a broken wrist.

If they are, in fact, ‘men of ‘straw’ you could go through a lengthy and costly court case, get an order against them and never actually see any money.

The easiest path to take is to apply to The Criminal Injuries Compensation Scheme. In simple terms, this is a government-funded scheme that compensates blameless victims of violent crime in Great Britain.

If you qualify they will pay out for mental or physical injury and loss of earnings, etc, following a crime of violence.

The Government website is very useful. Whilst it can take a long time to get paid out, there is a fund to help you.

Andrew ‘Chef’ Prendergast

On2Wheels November 2019

Stay up-to-date

White Dalton Email Newsletter
Subscribe to our weekly email newsletter to keep up-to-date or follow us on Facebook

Posted by Andrew Prendergast. Last modified: November 18, 2019 at 2:06 pm

Andrew has been riding motorcycles since he was 10 years old and currently rides a ZZR1400 as his daily commuter whether it is sunny or snowing. In addition, he is currently restoring an old Honda CB750 K1. Andrew practices across all areas of motorcycle law, with his practice involving both civil claims and motoring defence work.
Disclaimer: The legal advice and statements contained within this/these articles is correct at the time of printing. If you are seeking legal advice after a motorbike accident please contact us to speak directly with one of our lawyers.
Notify of
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments

About On 2 Wheels

On 2 Wheels Magazine Cover Image

The O2W legal column is compiled by managing partner Andrew ‘Chef’ Prendergast and his bike-riding barristers and solicitors at White Dalton Motorcycle Solicitors.

The firm deals with personal injury claims and its sister company, Motor Defence Solicitors, deals with motoring offences.

White Dalton lawyers have a vast knowledge of bike law - and they have full bike licences, too. They don’t act for insurance companies or the prosecution.

White Dalton is Britain’s premier specialist motorcycle law practice, and if its professionals don’t know the answer to your question, there probably isn’t one. Don’t rely on the advice from your insurance-appointed solicitor – get proper independent advice.

Visit the On 2 Wheels website

More Andrew Prendergast Posts: