Foreign Roundabout Claim

Foreign Roundabout Claim

Some spoon drove straight into me while I was on a roundabout in Swindon and smashed my leg to bits. Looks like surgery, metal work and about 18 months of rehabilitation for me. Nice one! Not.

The Old Bill has said it’s not my fault and I have a friendly, favourable witness. However, I am super worried as the driver was from Germany. Is this a problem?


Practically, it is not as straightforward to bring a claim against a foreign driver as a UK driver but it is far from impossible. European road traffic insurers will have a UK representative and helpfully there is a database so you can track down them down.

The most important information to keep a record of is probably the registration number of the vehicle. Armed with that you can find out who insured the vehicle and crack on with progressing a claim through the UK representative. Thereafter, it depends on the stance the third party/their insurer takes i.e. if they deny liability etc.

However, because the accident happened in England, court proceedings can be started here, but I strongly advise you to get a solicitor who is used to dealing with foreign parties, as it can get pretty complicated.

Andrew ‘Chef’ Prendergast

Motorcycle Monthly

Disclaimer: The legal advice and statements contained within this/these articles is correct at the time of printing. If you are seeking legal advice after a motorbike accident please contact us to speak directly with one of our lawyers.

Posted by Andrew Prendergast. Last modified: March 23, 2018 at 4:50 pm

Andrew has been riding motorcycles since he was 10 years old and currently rides a ZZR1400 as his daily commuter whether it is sunny or snowing. In addition, he is currently restoring an old Honda CB750 K1. Andrew practices across all areas of motorcycle law, with his practice involving both civil claims and motoring defence work.


Leave a Reply

Your e-mail address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Related Posts: