Motorcycle Blog

Today is the first day my new Rukka Kit got its first outing in the hacking down rain, and the boys from Finland know how to make a decent motorcycle suit. Mine is the midrange Armadillo but the prices are pretty top end. Anyway, here is what I reckon.

The quality seems very good, the waterproofing held up in 3 hours solid rain at brisk motorway speeds without any leakage and the suit can shut off most incoming wind. The collar was especially good.

The downsides are the price, and zipping together the trousers to the jacket is more fiddly than my old and now just slightly leaky HG suit. The kit without liners is not warm, but I don’t think that is a fault. I hate clammy riding gear in the summer but I do think the lack of vents, which is great for water proofing will not be so great for summer riding.

All the internal pockets stayed perfectly dry and while my missus says I know look more like a policeman than I normally do (I still get sent to the Police Room when I turn up at the magistrates) she thinks it is the smartest looking gear I have had.

So is it worth the premium price? I don’t know yet. I can spend all day riding and if I was a regular leisure rider I would have to say I would stick mid range (Held, HG) as the step up in price needs quite extreme conditions to bring out the benefits. The 5 year warranty is what swung me. I get through my HG stuff about every 3 years, so it was worth trying. I like HG stuff but holding joint British/Finnish nationality tipped me over to buying Finnish kit. So far I am pleased with it but it will get sorely tested on the RBLR 1000.

The kit is comfortable but I had to take the hip armour out with the lining in as it rubbed, but with the lining out I can feel it but it is not too bad. The armour sits snugly and does not feel like it would move about in the event of my delicate form sliding down the road. It is way more waterproof than the Aerostich, and I do not look like a Ninja teletubby wearing it, at least, I don’t think I do.

Andrew Dalton is a highly experienced trial lawyer who delights in taking on difficult and demanding motorcycle cases. He has a tough and relentless litigation style and is utterly focussed on getting the best possible outcomes for his clients.

8 Comments
  • Andrew

March 29, 2010 at 1:47 pm

Coming back from Whitstable on Sunday I spent about 250 miles in my new Rukkas. I like the ability to open up the cuffs to get a bit of windflow, but wonder how that would work on a full touring fairing. There was some light rain which did not trouble the Rukka but if it had done, I think I’d have gone mental. The “Coolblack” coating does work. Without the lining I was getting mildly cold in weak late March sunshine, but in fairness the temperature was dropping and the sun going down. The armour is a bit intrusive, and I can definitely feel it more than I could in my Hein Gericke kit, but the Rukka stuff is much more tailored. I am going to risk washing it at 40 degrees quite soon as it already has got a pretty liberal coating of road dirt.

It is still too early to say if the extra Rukka premium is worth paying for. So far it is waterproof, not too hot, looks smart and fits my frame pretty well.

• MICHAEL WYNN

June 7, 2010 at 9:26 am

Try wearing wicking underwear (polyester)and marino wool two thin tops should cure your chilled feel in the evening(and easy to wash and store whilst touring).”TFL Cool” reflects 60% of the sun rays on a hot day it is a spray on the outer of the garment,this still requires the function of the wicking underwear to remove the sweat so it has no chance of cooling down still attached to your “cotton T shirt” thus rendering you chilled on the skin surface as the temperature drops.
    The large opening cuffs are to make way for all water proof gloves to be tightly secured underneath to force the rain water from the glove over the suit.
    I my experience Rukka can be washed at 30-40 degrees for at least the length of the warranty and should be proofed on the outside once a year, in short Storm Products have produced a wash a proof in one wash at 30 degrees, this is the business.

• Andrew Dalton

June 7, 2010 at 12:01 pm

I think I am just a soft lad! The large opening cuffs are a real boon in the summer as a lot of air gets up them. I have not suffered clammy Tee Shirt under the Rukkas as I have not been warm enough. I shall try the storm product and thanks for the help. I do tend to wear fast wicking stuff for riding wear but I do have to travel in a shirt and tie with my suit in the top box but usually I am in the Aerostich Roadcrafter for that. The Rukkas seem a lot more waterproof than the ‘Stich but the Aerostich is a Godsend for people who have to wear a suit, but still want to ride.

• Seamus O@Shaunessy

July 5, 2010 at 12:25 pm

Your Honour

I thought Rukka were made in Ireland (Republic of) for lads that would be out hidin’ in the mountains or pickin’ potatoes for instance. I dunno what makes you tink dey have any ting to do with Finlan’ unless o course you are trying to big up Finlan’. Do dey even have any farms there? let alone good potatoe fields! Do you have enting to do with Finlan’ by the way?

Your bumble servan’

Seamus

• Andrew Dalton

July 5, 2010 at 3:15 pm

I recognise the ramblings of a mad Irishman. Hello Fin, ya maniac. Just a wee bit to do with Finland. I’ll say hallo to my Finnish mum from you. Still successfully writing in Eye-Rish.

• Andrew

August 4, 2010 at 8:05 pm

A proper test today in thunder, driving rain and spray. Not a hint of a leak but without a lining those Rukkas are cold. My underkit (for those who are interested) was my RBLR1000 rugby jersey and a pair of Ron Hill Tracksters so I was not dressed for warmth but it is August! My body temperature was about right and I was totally dry.

• Kai-Uwe

March 9, 2011 at 7:06 pm

Thanks for your review of the Rukka gear. I ordered the Armadillo jacket and pant just an hour ago, as a replacement for my previous Rukka gear. Replacement? Yes, unfortunately I needed it after gliding for 5-10m over the asphalt last saturday at my first ride in 2011. Bad start in the season, but Rukka protected me from any body damage! Yes, the clothes are worn and will be refunded by the insurance, but I only suffered a very small red mark on my left knee (which is already gone). Without protective gear the skin on my whole left arm’s outside and left leg’s left side would be gone. THANKS Rukka!

1. Andrew

March 14, 2011 at 12:14 pm

Good to see Finnish kit saving Swedish skins! Luckily I have not crash tested my Rukkas but they feel mighty strong and I reckon they would stand up as well as most leathers. The only down side is the kit is really not warm but Merino long underwear and the liners work well enough and now spring is coming cool waterproofs will be fine. How is the weather doing up in Sweden? Is the riding season starting as yet? My Finnish side of the family don’t get bikes out until April but Southern Sweden is a bit warmer than Southern Finland.