Frequently Asked Questions

Untraced Or Uninsured Driver

If you are the victim of an accident with a hit-and-run driver, a vehicle that can't be traced or an uninsured third party you can still bring a claim.

This is submitted to the Motor Insurers Bureau (MIB), an independent organisation created by the insurance industry to cooperate with the Government in compensating the victims of negligent uninsured or untraced motorists.

If the other driver was uninsured you can claim for all losses, as thought they were insured. The case will proceed exactly the same as if the other driver had insurance at the time of the accident, subject to a £300 property excess.

If the other driver cannot be traced, whether because they failed to stop or they dropped something on the highway earlier that caused your accident, you can still claim for your injury and in some circumstances property damage as well. The MIB will deduct a £300 "excess" from all compensation claims, similar to a fully comprehensive insurance policy.  Both schemes have technical requirements which, if breached, can cause a good claim to fail. Most importantly, you must report an accident involving an un-traced driver to the police as soon as possible.

We'll call you...

Request a callback from one of our team or text BIKER to 80800 and we'll call you

Change to us...

If you are unhappy with your current solicitor, change. Changing is easy and we'll take you through it step-by-step

The rules are simple. How they apply is not. For expert help call us on 0800 783 6191

Accreditation and Regulation

  • The Legal 500
  • Chambers UK
  • Association of Personal Injury Lawyers
  • The Law Society
  • Solicitors Regulation Authority
Back to top Back to top